1.13.2010

244--Casting


Met Chuck at CHW guitars on my lunch break when I dashed over there to pick up a music stand for work. Yes, I use a music stand in my job at the winery. Needed something to hold orders at the Fedex terminal. I thought, "hey, you need something that stands there and holds paper so you can read it and keep your hands free to type on this ... Keyboard?"

Didn't know who the music stores are in town, so I googled "music store 97128," and got Chuck at CHW guitars. He has this beautiful Washburn hanging on the wall there and I played it for a couple minutes. Pretty piece of wood. Also met Joe from Stratoblogster at the shop, and he invited me to jam together. Can't wait, Joe.

I love life! Can I just tell you?

Ok, so I'm a bit nervous about reading for this part. Excited at the prospect of acting a small role in an independent feature film, shooting in Portland this summer with Miscellaneous Q Productions. Excited to work with my friend Dawn Pruit-Bacon on a script she wrote and is now producing. Excited at the way the Mcminnville and Portland communities are coming together to make this movie.

It's the best of both worlds--country living and city dwelling intermingled. I've sometimes thought, "if I could have Hollywood in Sheridan, I wouldn't have to leave Sheridan to get to Hollywood."

Now that's deep, right? Well, what if I could? I mean, there's music here, and art, and film, and interesting people I really enjoy, and look at all those trees!

I'll be accompanying Dawn and Malia to the casting session this weekend. So far I've seen head-shots and resumes, and I look forward to meeting these actors and seeing them do that magic thing actors do. You know, the part where they turn into someone else before your very eyes.

I met Dawn's now-husband at my going-away party 4 years ago when I moved to LA from here. Spent more time with him this evening over dinner with Dawn and a couple other of their friends, one a metal-gone-acoustic musician dude that I think I'm gonna really dig.

So, on Saturday night, said cool-musician-dude and his wife are taking me to see a guy named Leroy Critcher, who they tell me is a phenomenal musician. He plays music for free at his place in Mac on Saturday nights. Come listen if you feel like it.

Just read through the part of the script with the character I hope to play, and I feel a bit less nervous now. I think I can do this.

I'll read through it again some more tomorrow, in between sorting video footage.













Goodnight, Beautiful...
Goodnight, Strender


No comments:

Post a Comment