1.25.2010

232--In My Opinion


I may have found a way to live more simply, but it's definitely not slower. Moving faster than ever--it's just going in one direction now.

Just off the phone with Kharla. She's putting a lot of energy into the Laguna Niguel concert. I'm really excited about bringing a couple musicians down to CA in a few weeks. We have Southern Cal musicians, Brian Lauritzen (Cello) and Daniel Estay (nylon-stringed guitar), and a couple Oregonian rockers Isaac Sturtevant (electric guitar) and Anthony DiRocco (drums), and we'll see what happens when all that comes together. I'll tell you what, I played just one song last Friday with Anthony on drums and it was something special, in my opinion.

Speaking of which, that's the name of their band..."IN MY OPINION"

I've heard Isaac's music for years. He's always been musically excellent. I love, love, love his acoustic stuff. It's technically exquisite and melodically brilliant, and it keeps me listening. But there's something new afoot here. For being away in CA, I hadn't heard him play in quite a while and my first time hearing him again, after several years, was last September at Festival of Tents.

I'd heard through the network that his daughter had died a week prior. I'd seen the heaviness around him like a shroud. I can only imagine he was in unbearable pain. From this anguished place he stood up in front of the gathering and sang about his trust in God with such deep and resolute conviction, I was moved to silence. There is nothing I can say about it. The man stood there, raw and bare, and sang about trust and peace with an almost wistful smile about him. And I saw him differently than I had before.

Last night I saw him differently again than before. I've known Isaac the acoustic, the gifted solo musician who crafts quirky and playful tunes like "Oregon Burrito," a danceably amusing tribute to a favorite local food establishment, "Muchas Gracias."

What I saw last night I was simply not prepared for. Whatever it is that happens when he and Anthony turn up the volume, crank the distortion and let it ride, this is an Isaac I have only just met. I got video footage--trying to have it online for you guys by weekend. Only downer was that I lost my phone at the concert.

This morning as he walked into work, yes we work together at Oregon Wine Services, he handed me my phone (it had fallen out in the backseat of his Orange 73 Volvo wagon), and said out loud what I was thinking.

After Friday night and last night, I was thinking I'd like to have Anthony play drums with us at the Laguna Niguel concert, because we're all in the same small town and we can rehearse together and prepare and practice and craft something tight enough to withstand 1000 jarring miles in a VW bus. Does it get any more authentic than that? They're driving to Cali in a VW van!


I never got to suggest it, because it's what Isaac brought up this morning. Anthony's going along for the ride anyway--they have some important business with a couple industry professionals in LA. I'm serious, what these guys do is gonna be hot property, in my opinion.
So as long as Anthony's gonna be there anyway, and since we can rehearse together, well you get the picture.

Later in the day, I'm standing over by the conveyor belt thinking how much I enjoy jamming with bassist Kevin Nichols. Isaac says to me, "hey, you should play a couple of your tunes at our gig on Friday."

In My Opinion and Auburn (lead-man Sean Lewis, another friend) are playing at a vintage-clothing store this Friday and now I'm in for a couple songs.

Isaac continues..."you should ask Kevin Nichols to play bass with us, me and Anthony and Kevin will jam with you on some of your tunes."

I'm not sure what's brewing here, doesn't need a lid, doesn't need a label. There's something stirring in this sleepy town.


1 comment: