12.09.2009

279--Ballpark



I am a very wealthy man. My wealth is in the rare value and unsurpassed quality of the people by whom I am known. This is brought home to me in exquisite clarity as I prepare to leave Hollywood.

Last evening I watched tv with Cecilia and talked for an hour. Then I visited with Susan, who continues to amaze me. Who uses the phrase "interstitial moments" conversationally? She also confronted me as to whether or not I have a slight "man-crush" on David Cowan.

If by "man-crush" you mean, do I think he's one of the most spectacular musicians I've ever encountered, with a soul the size of a small country, well then I suppose I do. I was talking to him this morning and thinking all the while how blessed I am to know such a skilled musical artisan, let alone have him interpret music that flowed through my spirit on its way here.

You know, my friends are entirely too secure in my masculinity. There's the man-crush thing. And then there's this other thing that grew out of a conversation with Sandy. I don't remember who brought it up, or how the snowball began, but the idea sprang to life that I would cover a different tune each month of 2010. And I don't get to choose what songs they are. Sandy chose the first one.

Then in my excitement, I shared the idea with Brian and Brianne, who actually developed a playlist of songs that they want to task me with. Zoe and Dulce couldn't even keep up with each other's suggestions.

But now, the question on my mind is, why are they all assigning me songs by girl singers? Huh?
What is that about? And who are the Ting-Tings?

Anybody want in on this? Here's how we'll do it. Sandy gets to pick the January song. Brian and Brianne pick the February song. Zoe and Dulce pick the March song. After that, it's a drawing. Submit any 3 song titles you want (nothing obscene), I'll put the names in a hat, draw one and that's the cover for the month. And will somebody please pick some guy songs? Thank you very much.

Today I had quality time with Ryan and Martin, an hour with Nathan, tea with Kathy, and yet another surprising conversation with Rajeev. Every time I talk to that guy, he turns out to be more brilliant and profound than I realized last time. At some point I'll stop being surprised at his depth, but tonight was not that night. He just keeps saying really poignant, funny stuff.

I shared with several of my friends that the words circling in my spirit of late are a variety that shape my concept of home. Words like "Abide," "Dwell," "Remain..."

If you're gonna play the game, you gotta be in the ballpark...




Goodnight, Beautiful...
Goodnight, Strender


No comments:

Post a Comment