12.12.2009

276--Touched



The Lord is good to all His children, because He loves us. Stupidly. Ridiculously. Scandalously. Outrageously.

I show up at church today and they're all wearing mismatched socks. Hahahaha! I love these guys. I guess somebody sent out an email and we're all misfits in solidarity today.

Nathan and Lisa leading worship took the music and connection to another level. The sermon called for action in bringing about justice in a society of misfits. Preacher invited us to bring gifts of socks and underwear for the homeless members of our community. Weather's turning cold. Bring a pair and set it under the tree--stoke the resistance to injustice. This preacher says some important things. I'm going to miss him, but I guess I'll just have to listen online now.

When Ryan called me up to the front to say farewell, I was thinking "no, don't do this again---you guys are making way too big a deal out of me. God does what He does--I just work here."

Ryan asked for anyone who wanted to come and lay hands on me while we pray. I couldn't see all who came, and I wasn't trying. Instead I closed my eyes and thanked God for loving so thoroughly, for giving to each other this community of misfits.


i-phone photo by David Cowan

At the end of the prayer, only one thought survived emotion: "I love you guys."

The church's parting token was a Southwest gift-card. I had hoped to visit next February. Now I'm halfway there. Meanwhile another job offer at my destination. And thanks to the generosity of two donors, the fund for this music ministry received $1100 over the last 30 days. Open Door Community Church has partnered with us to receive tax-deductible donations on behalf of this ministry. We're being provided for on both ends of the journey and the magnificent abundance warms my insides.

The Lord is good to all His children, because He loves us. Stupidly. Ridiculously. Scandalously. Outrageously.

Goodnight, Beautiful...
Goodnight, Strender

2 comments:

  1. You sound like Graham Cooke. When I heard him at festival I couldn't understand that kind of talk.
    He says things like, "God is ridiculously kind to me."

    God is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I remember that. He went on for a couple minutes with a string of descriptors. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete