12.19.2009

269--Where the heart is

Toward the end of May, I returned from a month at home in the islands with my folks. As I looked at LA from my airline window seat, I knew that my time in the city was drawing to a close. I thought maybe I'd just been spoiled by a month of nature--trees and beaches do something to me. Maybe a month or two in the city would erase the memories of a slower, simpler life. On the other hand, maybe not.

When the voice in my spirit told me it was time to go home, I automatically thought that meant going back to Grenada. So I immediately notified Ryan that I'd be heading back to the rock in a few months, and began making plans to cross the Atlantic another time.

Early September I had another realization. Home for me isn't just in Grenada anymore. That's where I grew up. That's where my parents live. Home for me is someplace else. Someone(s) else.

One of my favorite songs, by one of my favorite artists, Bryan Duncan:

There's a saying "your home is where your heart is"
My heart believes its true
And my home's so far away
Though the seasons and the scenery keep changing
I will make my home with you
'Til I'm finally home to stay
When I think of home
When I'm tired and feeling homeless
I come to you
You're where my heart is...

There are places on this journey I'll remember
Many faces all so dear
They can always bring a smile
But no matter where I am or where I'm going
In my heart you're always near
You have made my life worthwhile
When I think of home
When I'm tired and feeling homeless
I come to you
You're where my heart is...

It's 10:49pm. I'm unpacking boxes because I want this place to be organized by the time I leave for work on Monday morning. I'd like to come back to a functional workspace and get right down to it. Still about 20 boxes to go and some of them I can't really unpack until I find a bookshelf. Hoping for good luck at a garage sale or at the goodwill store.

While unpacking, I put on a cd of Bobby McFerrin dueting with YoYoMa, and that reminded me of Brian--he gave me that cd. Then I traded some emails with my mom, and a couple with Cecilia, a phone call with Darlene, Facebook wall posts with Taron. I put away the jacket and coffee mug Andrey and Febe gave me, then when the cd was done, I put on another one, something Scott gave me: Cistercian Monks Of Stift Heiligenkreuz (good luck with that)

Tamara's painting is on the dining room table until I find hammer and nails to hang it in the kitchen. The painting Jenny gave me is leaning on the wall next to the table. Outside air temperature is around 50 degrees. In here it's a comfortable 71, according to the clock/thermometer from Wanee.

Today was an amazing day of rest and re-connection. Lovely couple Chris and Bryanna came by and had tea and dinner with us. It turns out General and Chris are old friends from working together at kids camp in New York years ago. You gotta love how small this family is, and how large.

What am I getting at? You each have some of my heart, and my home is with you. Don't be fooled by geography.

Goodnight, Beautiful...
Goodnight, Strender

No comments:

Post a Comment