12.29.2009

259--Inventory



We're doing inventory at work this week. Inventory = Boring, right? Not to me. I like it. We're counting things. How very simple! Small decisions, like are there 5 of the same, or 3 of one and 2 of the other?

Last 10 days I've been remembering something Elizabeth said: "I don't want to live where life is just around the corner...I want to live where it's already here!"

This morning I took Vegas for a run in the 2-acre field behind Dar's house. It's a frosty morning. Grass crunches underfoot and trees appear out of the mist like hidden sentinels. As I watch him run free of leash or fence, as I drink in the picturesque cold, as I realize that this is my life, I'm suddenly praying out loud. It's a habit. It scares people, so I apologize if that happens near you sometime. I try to be mindful to keep it to myself so I don't freak you out. But seriously, is this my life? Am I really this simple?



I don't want to be anything but me. Home-grown, garden variety, man. I'm simple and I like it. When I call you smart, it's not always a compliment. Don't try to reassure me that I'm smart too. It's hard work being smart all the time. I say pick your battles.

As I understand more and more what the Lord is making of me, I'll fill various roles, some with longer terms than others. I may be a painter on occasion, a producer once or twice, a preacher from time to time, a musician as long as I breathe.

A while ago I became acutely aware of the massive amount of talent I'm connected to by way of acquaintance. The people I know are amazing at their various specialties. Like Leslie Foster. I'm flabbergasted at his visual creativity. Or take Nathan French, musician, speaker, motivator, community organizer, political mover and shaker. Take Jim Cook, or Seth Finley, or General Cuffy. Yes, that's his real name...General.

I thought to myself, among such excellent people, what would my title be? I'm not a Film-Maker, I'm not a Pastor, I'm not a Poet, I'm not even that good a Musician. What I am is a simple man. I like the title Civilian, because I am intrigued by what God can do with, do to, do through ordinary person-on-the-street civilians.


Goodnight, Beautiful...
Goodnight, Strender

No comments:

Post a Comment