12.24.2009

264--Twas the night before Christmas


I felt like such a man, going out into the cold morning with a wheelbarrow, filling it with split logs and 2x4 scraps, bringing them in and lighting the woodstove that heats the school lounge.

What could be more manly? Well, actually, I could have had to climb a trail and cut the tree myself and log it and then split the wood, as opposed to the 200 feet I walked to a covered shed filled with already chopped firewood.

I still get some manly points for this, right?

Got the fire started, chatted with Ryan on the phone, just catching up. He's going to preach out of Luke 2 this Sabbath. I would love to be there to hear it, but I'll have to listen online two weeks from now when it gets posted. I hope we get the video-streaming up to par quickly so I can hear him preach in real-time.

Tonight Scott's leading "Lessons and Carols" like we did last year in the Fellowship Hall and between thinking about that and the passage that Ryan's preaching from this week, I decided to read Luke 1 for today's podcast. So I read it and that took about 8 minutes. Then I started playing music for it and that took me a couple hours. A medley of "Angels We Have Heard On High" and "O Come All Ye Faithful."

I looked up as I was finishing the guitar-work and it was almost time to head over to Jim and Bonnie's. Spent the afternoon with the Finley's and that was a ridiculous ton of fun. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy bantering with Seth. The guy's hilarious. I just hope that in 2010 we actually make some of the videos we talk about.

I stole the eggnog and humongous mug in the white elephant gift exchange. Food and fun, laughter and games, friends, family, and eggnog thievery--I think this is at least part of what Christmas is supposed to be.

I'm back at my place now, just me and the canine. Candles and the water fountain, constant drone of space heaters against the tinkle of Vegas' tags. I'm going to check on that fire one more time, put a couple logs in so they can warm the space a while longer.
























photo by Darlene Taylor (of the tree at the Finley's house this afternoon)

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!
Pick A Chapter, Luke 1, selected by Lennox


Goodnight, Beautiful...
Goodnight, Strender

No comments:

Post a Comment