12.30.2009

258--Company Party


We work in teams for the inventory process. My partner is a guy named Ryan Williams. I'm getting to have quite the Ryan collection. There's even a girl one, but she spells her name different and I only just met her briefly before leaving Hollywood.

My new Ryan is the bomb. He's THE best forklift driver I've seen in operation. Truth be told, I've never attended the forklifting olympics, but I'm saying the guy's good. For counting items that are as high as 30 feet in the air, I was in the basket and he was our driver. He would put me right next to the batch that needed counting, first try on every pass, no weebles, no wobbles. Smooth, safe, efficient.

I've enjoyed getting to know him as we worked together these past three days. Met his wife and their 3-month old son tonight at the company party. I confess now that I didn't want to go to the party. I got home from work and thought, it's so nice and warm here and I am tired from all the lifting and counting. I could just curl up with a book...

So I got out quick. Sometimes that's what it takes. When the house monster wants to keep you locked in, you gotta make a break for it while there's strength left in you. While you still remember your way to the front door.

Made it to the party after all, and as I'm walking up the steps at NW Wine Bar, there's Kathy and Mike! Mike Aplin is the bottling technician I worked with years ago before I moved to LA. If you need wine put in a bottle, this is your guy. If you need wine out of a bottle, that's a different call, and I've got excellent referrals for that too.

I've been thinking about faith a few times today. Someone asked me to help them believe. I could not put to words what a great honor that is. Set me to thinking, what is faith?
Faith is the substance of things hoped for. It's a substance. We've come to perceive it as a crutch, a last resort, a mental construct. I think we've mistaken what's really substantial. Faith is the ability to see what God sees. My brother Taron told me that.

Anyway, I'm excited about tomorrow. I'm gonna make a bit of music with Isaac, talk with Jim about music and worship, and record a song that Cecilia requested. I'm excited that my entire day tomorrow is steeped in music. How grand!

















Goodnight, Beautiful...
Goodnight, Strender

No comments:

Post a Comment