6.03.2010

104--What happens in Las Vegas, goes everywhere...

Waiting at gate C13 for the flight to Vegas, a man on the next bench over said, "is that Lennox Fleary?" I look up and there's Kevin May. Last time I saw him was at a bar. I had just played a set with Anthony and Isaac, and Kevin's boys had just played a set in the same line-up. The May brother's Jaime and Morgan, band name Jokers and Jacks, are an acoustic rock/pop duo that I just love listening to. They have a great sound and fantastic musicianship. Today I got to spend 2 hours in the air with their part-time manager, full-time dad, Kevin May. Trust me, i'm the lucky one.

A long time ago I read a book called "The Celestine Prophecy." I remember taking away from it that we each have a message to deliver and I should be on the lookout just in case an apparent stranger is actually a courier bearing news that I need in order to complete the tasks ahead of me.

I began this trip with a fair amount of trepidation. I wonder if use the word too loosely. No, I think it's fair use. I was scared to come on this trip. I've been building up to this point for a while, and now that I'm here, it's time to build a business and pull out all the stops and go get paid to play music. Can people really do that on purpose?

I mean, it's called the Music Business. I know very little about music, although I am learning and finding out that intuition and hearing music in your head does count for something. Whatever I know about music, I know less about business, unless, once again, you get points for intuition and hearing stuff in your head. You begin to notice a trend here.

What I'm hoping for this weekend is that I will walk away with a plan for booking paid performance opportunities. I play for the love of playing, but I also want to be able to make a living at this and I'm down to months from the goals I've set for myself.

Thence my trepidation (said it again).

I'm going to sleep so I can be fresh and well-rested, sharp and clear-minded, ready to absorb the nuance and finesse of music marketing strategy. Yes, I fully intend to be a promotional protege by Monday.

Also, I really want to play at Coffee Cottage in Newberg, OR. So will somebody, anybody, all of you, give them a call and let them know that? If you've heard me play and you think I would be a good experience for their customers, let them know that. I'd really appreciate it. Their number is (503) 538-5126.

They'll either hate that I asked you to call and not book me ever, which is what I have right now, or they'll think it's "creative" and "bold," which might just get me a chance to play there.

I already checked with Kevin (that's Kevin Nichols, bass player) and he would love to play there.

Sounds like Waylan is booking us to play Silverton again on the 25th of June. I'll follow up with him about that tomorrow. Wait, it's already tomorrow.

I can just keep on typing mindlessly. This is my antidote to being alone in a hotel room in a strange town.

No, I'll leave you alone now.

Goodnight, Beautiful...
Goodnight, Strender.

ok, for real, just one more thing. Truth showed me the promotional video she made for my next single and I have to say, it's really good!!! I knew it would be, but I was still impressed bigtime. Thanks, sister. I love it.

OK, now I'm going to bed.

Love y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment