6.12.2010

94--a mile apart


I'm an Adventist. Definitely. A few weeks ago I was on a video-chat with Young Professor about a song we're working on. As I'm talking to my computer screen, out of the corner of my eye I sense movement outside my window and turn to see Ron Wearner, local SDA pastor, at my door.

My heart leapt. Great to see him. So good to see him. Being in the middle of the session with Cowan, I couldn't entertain Ron's visit right then, but we made plans to connect another time. That time turned out to be Thursday of this week. It was a mix of catch-up conversation, lots of music-talk (Ron is a great musician), and an invitation to Potluck this Sabbath. Without question, Potluck is my favorite spiritual discipline.

Well, I'm just back from Potluck and I'm going to sit for a minute before I grab my guitar and head off to rehearsal, with the worship team of Open Door Community Church, my other church a mile away. Because although I am definitely an Adventist, I am also, definitely, Open Door. See, definitely Adventist, definitely Open Door.

"How does that work?" It's the question my landlord asked when I told him I belong to both churches. "I thought you can't do that," he said.

30 minutes ago, I was sitting at a table of family, eating and talking and laughing. In 45 minutes, I'll be in a music practice session with family, playing instruments and planning chord changes.

Both my family. Definitely. A mile apart. Definitely. Getting closer. Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment