6.20.2010

86--Guy In The Back


Happy Father's Day!!

A few years ago I was playing a small coffee-shop where music isn't so much a focus as a background against which friends maintain conversation. It's tough sometimes to play to an audience that's not really paying attention. It feels like being half-ignored and mostly rejected.

But then there's that one or a couple who really connect with what you're doing. You can pick them out every time your eyes sweep that section of the room. They're making eye contact, they're singing along, they're swaying to your beat. It's that connection that keeps me playing over the din and the chatter.

So there I was playing this gig, and I look up and see him again. That guy. I didn't know his name. I'd seen him at my gigs before. He knew all my songs. He'd sing them with me. Anytime I looked over there, he was mouthing the words. And every time I tried to get back there after a show to make his acquaintance, he was gone. He'd leave right at the last note.

I wrote this song because of that guy at that coffee-shop, but over the years it's become a song that reminds me of the amazing brotherhood and support and mentoring that has blessed my life.

So this song is dedicated to the men whose love and friendship have set me this far along a road I could not travel alone. Thank you very much, all of you.

Top of the list is my Dad. If I could choose, this is the guy I'd pick:


Thompson Leo Fleary




And to all my brothers, I would list names, but then I'd forget someone and that would be unfortunate. So just know that I'm grateful to each and every one of you for the impact you have had on my life. Here's the song:

Guy In The Back

There's a face that comes to my mind in the middle of every show
A brother that I hardly know
He's there every time
When I get off-track and I got to go back to my favorite song
He'll be singing right along
He knows every line
He knows every line

This is for the guy in the back with the funky little hat and the jacket on
The brother that I'm counting on
To help me when I sing my song
When I see your face then I know that I'm in the right place
And I'm not alone
Even when you're up and gone
I'm gonna be alright

I tried to catch him at the door
Just to say to him "Hello" before he got away
And listen what he had to say
And maybe get to know his name
He said I sing cause I know what it feels like just to be a simple man
I sing because I understand
I'm singing cause I'm in the band
Yeah I'm in the band

This is for the guy in the back with the funky little hat and the jacket on
The brother that I'm counting on
To help me when I sing my song
When I see your face then I know that I'm in the right place
And I'm not alone
Even when you're up and gone
I'm gonna be alright


Here's to the brotherhood, Strong and Tender.

That's you, Strender

No comments:

Post a Comment