3.19.2010

181--Learning


My guitar is with Chuck at CHW to have binding replaced and just get a general checkup. So for the last two hours I've been running scales on a borrowed Takamine. Yeah, life is rough.

My fingers hurt pretty bad right now. This process of discipline is downright uncomfortable. Jim said something at breakfast yesterday that's going to stay with me awhile. Jim heard it from Wayne Shenk and it arrived at me yester-morn over omelette delicious: "Do not be learned, be a learner."

The pharisees were learned. They had come to the end of the internet. They knew all there is to know, and had no further use for learning.

I'm learning so much from Leroy Critcher right now. Videotaped last evening's guitar lesson and replayed it several times this morning. Now I know how a triad is formed and a 7th, and how the notes are spaced on a major scale, and what the heck is the dorian mode.

Learning goes deeper than the "aha" moment. Last night I understood it. Now my fingers have to know it so well that they can navigate the turns at high speed. I have to commit to muscle memory what my mind has understood. The test happens onstage in front of an audience, a cloud of witnesses, and it's not enough to know the positions, I have to execute them when the pressure's on.

As Morpheus says, "there is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path."

Back to scales.
Learning continues.

3 comments:

  1. http://mdesmond.com/end-of-the-internet/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, my friend and fellow waterfall seeker, so glad to see you on here. Now I can keep up with your wanderings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's funny, Scott...I turned off the light at the end of the internet.

    Dr.Olivia, so good to hear from you!!!! Didn't know you're a waterfall hunter. I do know I love those photos you had in your office. I'm traipsing over to your blog right now in hopes of seeing some more. I'll post today's hunt when I get back.

    ReplyDelete