9.18.2009

360---Technology

I love what's possible with technology. 

Me and the Daves are working on a song called Road Trip. David Cowan, producer, drummer. David Williams, Engineer, Guitarist, Mandolin...ist? 

On Smoke and Alcohol, the song we just finished at the beginning of September, there was this killer harmonica player. That dude blows a fierce harp! 

Some of you know that back in June I was seriously too tired in my spirit to play music and wasn't even trying to think about recording anything. David Cowan, AKA  The Young Professor (YP) really stepped up for me. He kinda got me back on my feet and having fun. 

So while we're planning for recording that song, he's like, 
"this should have a harmonica in it."

And I'm like, "cool, I don't know any players."

So YP is like, "don't sweat it, I got a dude for this"

July 19th at the studio I met Jimmy Powers for the first time. This guy can blow his face off. I mean, for real. I didn't even know a harmonica could do what he makes it do. And the nicest guy you could ever want to meet. I really enjoyed him. 

Score one for the YP

But now we go further afield. Which brings me back to what I was saying about technology. 

YP is in Japan. He's been there a couple months, playing gigs, being on radio shows, learning Shamisen. You know, regular stuff. 

Well the goal we've set for completing the next song, Road Trip, is November 1st. So we've been working on it even while he's over there. The other night at midnight here (3pm in Japan) I'm on Ichat with him planning how to get the keyboard tracks for this song from Andrew, who lives in Boston. I love it! Another musician I haven't met, but I trust he's good if YP says he's good, and I'm on Ichat to Japan figuring out how to get music files from Boston so I can take them to Dave at the studio on Melrose. 

Next up, I gotta figure out how to use my external hard drive to keep these files. I'm gonna be learning some crazy stuff this year, right? Bring it. 

So yeah, about this song Road Trip, I'll tell you about that tomorrow. 


Goodnight, Beautiful...
Goodnight, Strender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment