9.20.2009

358--- To be or not to be


I don't exist on Sundays. I turn off my phone and my computer and my schedule, and we all know that without schedules none of us exist.  

I stay in bed late. Do whatever the day brings. Sometimes I make it to the end of the day without changing out of my pjs. 
 
Some Sundays I hang out with Sean and make pancakes and potatoes and eggs, and then we sit around and watch Looney Tunes with MariaNoel and her family. 

It's a TV day. I don't watch TV much. For a few years I didn't watch any at all. Recently I found out about TV on DVD, and online. Hmmmmmm....

I found out I don't like cliffhangers. I hate having to wait to see what's going to happen next. TV on DVD solves that problem. I won't watch a show that's not finished yet. I hear "Lost" is really good, but I'm gonna wait until the show is all done before I start watching it. Alburn and Kelsy turned me on to "BattleStar Galactica" earlier this year. That was the jam--borderline addiction. How many late nights was I up watching one more episode, then one more? 

I don't have any TV lined up for today. I'm just gonna hang out at Lucy's. She's having a backyard potluck and guava harvesting. She's even got Gandoles, what we call pigeon-peas back home. I love to garden. It's a memory from childhood. 

Corn was my favorite. I used to rush outside in the morning to see if the corn had sprouted yet. 
Nothing beats picking the ripe ears and starting a charcoal fire on the front porch to roast corn with the family. 

I love growing tomatoes, too. I just helped Penny can tomatoes a couple weeks ago. That was a blast. Even made some of my tomato soup for her and Jim. I only make that for people I really love. It's a mark of relationship. If I haven't made that soup for you yet, we're not that serious. 

Wow, I act like I came up with this recipe. I didn't. Jesse's mom made it while we were on a video shoot. My very first music video about 10 years ago with Jesse Griffith, director. His mom fed us that soup and I just had to have the recipe. Now look at me lording it over people with my special soup. 

I love putting my hands in the dirt. I love the magic of putting a seed in the ground, knowing the next time I see it, it will have died and been resurrected as something even more impressive. I love that the elements work together to compile the goodness of earth into these convenient care packages.

Sunday is for TV and gardening... 
Sunday I don't exist... 
Everyday should be Sunday...
So say we all...

Goodnight, Beautiful...
Goodnight, Strender.

No comments:

Post a Comment