8.04.2010

42--Here we go again


Work's been slow the last couple weeks. I usually work an 11.5 hour day. Lately I've been coming home after 6 hours or so. It's because of the heat. Wine needs to remain cool so it's not good for shipping when we have temperatures in the 90's or early hundreds.

The extra time on my hands has been useful in getting more preparations made for the website launch, in practicing more for upcoming performance, in planning and strategizing. There's so much to do and every minute counts for something. So that's been great. But it's not good having my paycheck significantly reduced. That part stings. I find myself deciding which bill to pay in priority.

Then I think about the fact that so many people in the world would love to have my problems, to have food and shelter covered, and their options be whether to pay phone or internet first. My needs are met, and the extra time allows me to plan my "escape." That's what Nidia called it.

Yesterday was busy, though. We were back up to a 9 hour day. The return to exertion put a lot of adrenaline in me. Didn't sleep well last night. I think my body was just wound up. Did the arithmetic on it, and these hands and shoulders lifted a total of over 20,000 pounds yesterday.
Which made me think it is possible to accomplish amazingly huge tasks, one bit at a time. I lifted 45 pounds, the weight of a case of wine, over and over. Of course I can't lift 20,000 pounds. But I can, if I just take it a box at a time.

Maybe today there will be enough work to fill my hours. If not, I'll come back here and work on songs for the 27th.


No comments:

Post a Comment