8.07.2010

39--Gas Money


It's a simple thing, but Darlene drove and Caleb paid for gas and that's how I got to Silverton last night. I had fun playing that show and I met some wonderful people and connected with old friends. It's just another example of the fact that I can't do this without you guys.

When Liana asked me to play, I said "sure, I'd love to, but I don't have gas money to get there."
So she said "are you serious or do you just not want to play small gigs anymore?"

I don't mind small gigs. In fact, I love them. I don't call them small gigs--I call them intimate. One of my all-time favorite performances was a house-concert dinner performance for a young couple in my neighborhood.

Said to my agent this week that I wouldn't mind playing for free--I just mind paying to play. That's what happens when I have to figure out transportation to go someplace and then not get paid for the gig, so I end up actually spending money to entertain. Last night was the opposite of that. Caleb paid for gas, Darlene drove, and the audience bought cds, enough that I picked up groceries on the way home.

I knew money might get tight next year when I go full-time. I didn't think it would happen now--that's why I have a job 3 days a week. But with times being slow at work, it's a great test run and practice exercise for what's ahead. I think the difference is that next year with your support, this will be my job and I don't foresee "slow times."

At any rate, thank you Caleb, thank you Darlene. Couldn't have done last night without you. I had a really great time. Much appreciation.


No comments:

Post a Comment