8.11.2010

36--Salutations


I have prayed one word so far: "Father..."

Slow at work, not much going on at all. Can't get on the phone or do other work-inappropriate things, but I can pray for the several needs I'm aware of.

I got one word in and thought, "am I really qualified to call you Father? Do I know you well enough or represent you as if I was your son? Do I even do that for my Earth-Father?"

He's a good man, my dad. I'm getting to know him, partly through conversation, largely through experience. The more I live the more I realize the strength his road requires. The more I understand the fights he's won, the ones he's lost, the ones he chose to walk away from, the greater my respect for the man to whom I was entrusted.

I think about the assertion that we relate to God through the filtered experience of our relationship with Earth Fathers. What does that mean for you? I know that my Dad is rooting for me.

I've known and heard the pain of those to whom Father means "Enemy" or "Violent Destroyer."
Having prayed one word so far, my spirit stopped to be thankful that I can call God Father and know that He is for me.

Two of you asked me why I'm not praying for Jonah's healing. We're raising money and awareness to research treatment. Isn't my Father the one who heals? What do I have the faith to ask?

I have prayed one word so far: "Father..."

Dare I pray further?

No comments:

Post a Comment