8.05.2010

41--Irresponsible


I didn't hit send.

Typed up a text message that said stuff like...I can't go. You guys have a great time. Let me know how it was. Thanks so much for inviting me. blah. blah. blah.

I have this habit of reading my texts before I send them because the send button is such a heavy commitment, you know? Once you release a message into the air, it has flown, baby. There's no bringing it back. You said what you said, and now she's mad and you gotta sleep on the couch...again!

Sorry, flashback.

So yeah, I read this text I had composed and it raised queries. Like can I really expect her to tell me how it was? Aren't there some things you have to be there for yourself to experience? I mean, I can tell you all day long that it was mind-blowing and soul-stirring, but for some experiences there is no substitute. Sometimes a story won't do.

Thing is, I have worship team practice tonight at 7 and we are down to crunch-time getting ready for Festival. It would be irresponsible of me to not be at practice tonight. We spent all of July nit-picking little tiny details in each song and making sure we know song structure backwards and forwards.

So I composed this message because it would be irresponsible of me to reply otherwise.

But I didn't hit the send button.

After 2 minutes of deliberation, I hit the erase button and composed a different reply on Facebook. This one I sent.

"Was that a trick question? Would I like to go see Pat Benatar?"

Confucious say, when Dawn texts you offering a free ticket to see Pat Benatar in Portland tonight, refusal would be simply....Irresponsible.


No comments:

Post a Comment