8.08.2010

38--Inside Jokes

I love inside jokes. At least, I do when I'm on the "in" side of the joke.

Today after church I put my new bookshelf and monster cabbage (thank you, Rineharts!) in my car and met Jessi at the kitchen for lunch. Home-made sourdough, home-made strawberry jam, amazing Cocoa Mint tea from Teavana with rock sugar crystals the size you could slingshot at targets across the street.

Caleb and Jeff and Gab were there too and we talked about one of the ideas that Jessi brought up regarding the community of Sheridan, the idea of "Time Banks."

Gab's feedback was that she'd love to serve, but something didn't feel quite right about expecting service in return. Maybe we just need a list of the service needs in our community so that we can match up the needs with those skilled and available to fill them. Who's going to organize and play the role of dispatch to this idea?

Lunch was amazing, thank you Jessi. Then Caleb and I started thinking about watching a movie. Maybe Nine, maybe Iron Man II, maybe both. Where shall we do this? Who's got a big-screen?

No luck on the big-screen, maybe we'll have to watch it on our computers. Caleb offers, "yah, I watch movies on the computer when it's just me, but when you're with the guys, you gotta have a big-screen."

Jessi wonders "why?"

Well, you can't have all the guys crowding in close together to see a tiny little computer screen. Each guy's gotta have arms length and domain. Otherwise it might lead to "man-cuddling."

And that's the thing about an inside joke. I'm pretty sure Jessi or Caleb or Jeff or myself will use the word "man-cuddle" conversationally and to each others' delight, but if you weren't there, you just have to wonder what the heck those people are talking about.

Never resolved the situation, so here I am at home, by myself, about to vacuum and tidy up so I can call it a day, and flop down on the couch for computer-screen tv and some much less stigmatized "dog-cuddling," which is allowable to do, but not to say, so let's just leave the terms outside for a bit, shall we?

Stargate season 5, here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment