4.28.2010

144--Why Haven't You?


Addictions are based in pride. The premise is that I can fix it on my own. "I know what to do here." Just a little more of this substance, another round of this behavior and it'll go away.

Denial convinces me it's not broken, Pride allows me to prescribe a medicine. I remember something Terry asked me years ago..."If you know how to fix it, why haven't you?"

End of the day, only God can fix broken humanity. I cannot fix even myself.

Our addictions have become more sophisticated. Some are chemical. Others are religious, spiritual, philosophical. Mind-games and heart-routines by which we convince ourselves we are in control.

It's one of the more frightening aspects of submission to this Christ. The assertion and acceptance that I cannot fix the messes I've gotten into, rewarded by the assurance that He will fix them. Assailed by the unsettling thought that His solution may not be to my liking.

That'll keep you up at night.

Are you feeling, Beautiful?
Are you knowing, Strender?

No comments:

Post a Comment