11.22.2009

295-Miracle


A miracle will be performed less than 10 feet from me. And I get to stand there and watch. Many times the miracles around us are unscheduled. We don't know they're coming and we miss them when they do. But this is one I've known about for months. I even know what I'll be wearing when it happens. Today my brother Sean marries his best friend.

You know I have a passion for marriage. I know only too well that there will be trials ahead for my brother and his wife. I know they're gonna face all manner of enemies, foreign, domestic, internal. There will be historical and generational fears to confront. Memories long forgotten will rise to haunt once more.

The miracle is stronger than these. I believe Love is stronger than every force of darkness combined. I believe the choice to make another person part of yourself is the choice to empower them with your greatest joy and darkest sorrow, the power to wound and the power to heal your very soul.

Yesterday, with eyes overspilled, one of my sisters told of her fear that we are losing the commitment to love each other, the community of humankind. We've let our children become invisible. We relegate the miracle of union to a mundane and disreputed institution. We forget to love on purpose.

I have watched my brother prepare for today. I watched him study. I heard his heart ask only how to heal hers. I know he went to the Captain, and he still goes. I believe he will keep going, and find the strength and knowledge to renew the miracle over and again. I have hope enough for my friends.

It is not a light thing to approach the Almighty and request to be joined with another. It is not a light thing to approach the Almighty. This joining, only God can do this. Sex is easy--Union is a miracle.

I see how much she wants to make him stronger. He tells of her beauty with wonder in his eyes.

I believe. I've seen many things, enough to know that I've seen enough to know. And I believe. In enemies unseen. In Love unstoppable. In miracles that last and grow, and die. And live again.

I hope my voice returns this week. I miss reading to you.

Goodnight, Beautiful...
Goodnight, Strender


3 comments: