10.02.2009

346---The 4th Guy


Whereas I now know where I'm going, I haven't yet been told where I'll sleep or how I'll recognize my daily bread. First things first--I've chosen a community and in return, I hope they choose me. 

I have to be intrigued at the gathering and depth of spirit warriors in this place I am called to dwell. I look forward to hanging out with my boys. Matt says we're in for some good times. I've never tried snowboarding, but it appears that early in 2010, I'll collect stories with matching bruises. 

It's fun giving good news, isn't it? We like being the ones to deliver the happy. We cut in front of each other to recite the punchline, to be the one that gets the laugh. On some level, we're all attracted to the concept of gospel--good news. 

Job had a great life and lots of happy photographs to show for it. Good times and feasting, the life I imagine for myself and the people I love. And then one day, mysteriously, the music changes. As if some supernatural wind had shifted, everything precious in his life gets blown away. 

Imagine being the first guy that gets to report financial disaster to this wealthy employer. Try being the guy to follow that guy with another breaking story of ruin. But wait, a third messenger, further herald of sudden financial demise. Each successive messenger hears the end of the preceding tale; each knows he is not the first to disturb Job's peace today.

As Ryan would say, "That ain't right!"

I venture that it really sucks to be the 4th guy in this lineup. If I'm Job, I can find a silver lining in the thought that possessions and materials are just stuff. Creature comforts are nice, but they pale in comparison to the love of family, the timeless value of relationship. Now, as the 4th guy,  I get to rip that silver lining to shreds. I'm here to tell this loving father that his kids just died, all ten at once. 

How do you soften that? "Well, at least they were all together when it happened?" 
That doesn't really help,  does it?

Today began with a phone call from a brother asking me to pray about his job situation. He may or not lose his job today. I went to the sanctuary to pray about it, and the first thing that came to my heart was to hope that he keeps this job. But I found myself being led another way. I found myself praising God that He is our source, not our jobs or our holdings or investments. I think circumstances are near for many of us in which we'll have to re-calibrate our concept of resource.  

How would I respond to the first guy, or the second? At what stage of financial pressure would I have caved? At what illusion of lack would I have cowered against the falling sky?

Job listens to all 4 messengers before he responds. 

I want to meet this man Job, who has the nerve to say to the 4th guy: 
"I was born naked, I'll die naked. 
God gives, God takes. 
Praise the name of the Lord!"

That's a whole new kind of crazy right there. 


Goodnight, Beautiful...
Goodnight, Strender.


1 comment:

  1. It was not very long ago that I read that book, simply because I felt like everything in my life was being taken away. Those very verses were such an inspiration to me. I was seriously considering covering my head in ashes and wearing sackcloth under my clothes. I didn't know what else to do, until I read those verses; Job's response was simply and purely to worship! That was such a reality check!

    ReplyDelete