10.30.2009

318--like water


Two blocks before my first stop, I spotted Andrey walking along the sidewalk, heading towards me in the opposite direction. We had planned to meet at 1:45 at the church to catch a 2:10 movie. I figured if I got a haircut at 11, I could pick up my suit from Carlos by noon and be back in time to have lunch and make the 1:45 appointment.

"Hey dude, I'm going to the bank, wanna walk with me?" He did. And waited while Alex cut my hair. Then we headed downtown to the fashion district where I picked up the black suit I'll wear to Sean's wedding. Took it across the street to the tailor's for hem and adjustments.

Quick lunch before movie, then two hours of sexy violence, which did very little for me, the sexy or the violence. It did begin yet another interesting conversation with Andrey. I've been getting to know this guy a little bit at a time over the last 4 years. Had no idea he used ride BMX freestyle! Or he's bunjee-jumped in Bali! Or he's got a black belt in Tae Kwondo and studied Aikido for years.

"You got to flow like water," he says to me. "Water will treat you the way you treat it. If you touch water gently, it will receive you gently. If you hit water hard, you will hurt your hand. Whatever the obstacle, water will come around it. And even if it runs against a stone, eventually it will either move the stone or wear it down."

I have this great memory of me and Andrey waiting on the light at Sunset and Highland, singing the line from a reggae tune..."A continual drip of water, bore a hole in stone, and Samson killed his enemies with a jackass jawbone, So we gonna keep a hittin', and a hittin' and a hittin'..."

Whatever comes around the bend, may we be graceful, like air, solid as earth.

Flow like water...














Goodnight, Beautiful...
Goodnight, Strender

No comments:

Post a Comment