10.18.2009

330---Studio...Seize The Moments


It's 11:22 am as I begin today's journal. I'm a little bit sweaty-palmed. No good reason for it. This should be loads of fun. I'll be arriving at the studio in just over an hour.

I'm ready for this. Sent emails to the musicians giving them the address of the studio and the time to meet there. David (Engineer) put their names on the list for parking at the studio lot. I'll stop by the bank on the way to the studio and withdraw money for this.

I had a feeling I'd be nervous today, so I wanted to be prepared. The last hour of our session on Thursday, we tracked the acoustic guitar for this song, so that way today I don't even have to do that. All I have to do is sing these words and mean them..."What if I must learn to fly?"

Had breakfast--check
Got Brian's Cello--check
Sheet music printed--check
Socks don't match--check

11:28am
Heading out. See you at the studio...


1:27pm
Sitting at studio with David and Tanja chatting about the way movie-making is moving out of state. Tanja’s our video camera operator today. Emir arrives, after a 1-hour-and-26 minute drive from Westwood. The Aids Walk was today, hence the traffic.

Tanja takes food orders and walks to Astroburger.

1:58pm
Melinda's here. She's just back from playing a worship service with Nathan.

2:15pm
Brian arrives.

Brian and Melinda sitting next to each other on the sofa, reading the score. Melinda's right hand moves ever so gracefully through the air as her air-violin accompanies Emir's amazing piano performance. I wonder how many times I'll use the word 'amazing' today. Brian's left hand practices cello transitions on his right forearm.

Tanja's back. She's just begun a love affair with a restaurant. A fast-food restaurant, no less. She spends the next half hour absorbed in the menu. I'm amused as she sits across from Brian and Melinda. Here are three people diligently immersed in the information on the page in front of them--two reading music; one choosing lunch. Food and music. Appears I'm in the right room.

2:54pm
Emir's piano track is recorded and now he's taken up the role of conductor. What I emailed him two months ago was a guitar and vocal rough draft of this song. He composed a piano part, 3 Cello parts and 3 Violin parts. Now he's next door in the performance booth rehearsing with Brian and Melinda.

3:23pm
As I listen to the strings and piano together, I feel unqualified to sing this song that I wrote. I have lost the words that might describe how it feels to hear my music executed, embellished and enhanced by professional, trained classical musicians.

This Gardenburger Philly Sub is delicious!

4:06pm
This is too beautiful for me. There's no way I can produce a vocal worthy of this musical support.

This blog entry is also getting too long. I'll finish it tomorrow.














Pick A Chapter--Psalm 2 (Len's pick)


Goodnight, Beautiful...
Goodnight, Strender

No comments:

Post a Comment