5.25.2010

112-Try Me

Letter to a friend:

Hey bro,

you asked me to share a couple thoughts on how my perspective changed about the practice of tithing.

I really can't say how amazing it was for me that last week, the money that flowed through my hand on account of music and ministry was over twice the amount from my job!

I've experienced a shift from payment to partnership. I used to make payments to God because I owed it to Him. It was a giving borne of duty. I had to, OR ELSE...

Then there's the way He presents Himself in Malachi 3:10. He says, TRY ME. I heard Him saying, "you don't think it will work?, or maybe you think it will work and you're still unsure?, or maybe you really hope it will work and you want it to work, but you haven't taken the chance?...go for it, just try it"

It's like a father saying to a child, "if you jump, I will catch you." It's Aladdin saying to Jasmine, "do you trust me?" OK, TRY ME.

Try me and see if I won't give you so much you don't know what to do with it. Really? And all I have to do is try?

Somehow my understanding changed from making a payment to God to a situation where God and I are business partners. I'm not buying protections from Him, I'm investing in Him. In his character, and in His reputation. The same way I would if I consider whether or not to go into business with a friend. I would look at their track record and accomplishments and I would assess a list of pros and cons and I would say to myself, two things:
1. Is he capable?
2. Can I trust her?

The first one is easy to me. Is God capable of blessing me beyond my wildest dreams? Yes. And done.

Can I trust Him? Well now, that's up to me, isn't it? I think He can be trusted, now can I trust Him? So I did. Sort of, you might say, just like verse 10 suggests, as a trial, an experiment. I'll try it. What the heck? He says try it, I'll try it. And the most amazing thing has happened.

I no longer perceive Him as a landlord to whom I pay rent, but as a business partner in whom I invest with the assurance that my business interests are also His business interests. By submitting my first and best resource to His kingdom, I become alligned with His purposes and led by His directives. So when I need something to accomplish a task, I'm greatly emboldened to ask.

"Pop, I need an amplifier so I can play to groups of people in venues without a PA system and I don't want to keep borrowing the one from the church because sometimes it won't be available when I need it and because I want to be able to plan without having to depend on the availability of someone else's equipment."

There was a time I would approach that conversation with a hesitation, the way I would ask a landlord to fix something in my apartment. It's not that big a deal, really, and it can wait, and I've lived with it this long. I mean, really, running water is over-rated. Now, we're partners in this house and I'm saying, Lord, I'd really like to put paint on the walls and He's saying, "what color?"

Partners, that's what we are. He is my business partner. I worried I might lose sight of the fact He owns everything, but no, I'm not mistaken with the illusion we are buddies. I wouldn't dare command His attention. I still request attention and submit my ideas, but I submit them without fear, because after all, this was His idea.

He's the one that said, "TRY ME"
















Backstory: I was going to buy an amp anyway, using my tax return money. I would be able to afford the middle one, because the top of the line model is simply past my reach. A few minutes before the purchase I was notified by email of a generous gift from a supporter and friend. It allowed me to get the top of the line amp and a microphone and new guitar case so I'm very much ready for the road now. Thank you to my friend and his wife. Thank you. And thank you to God who invests far more in me than I invest in Him, which makes me want to try harder.

Good morning, Beautiful...
Good morning, Strender

3 comments:

  1. What models of amp and mic did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got an SM58 and this amp: http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=2213100010

    ReplyDelete