7.11.2010

65--what lies ahead




I love the feeling I get when I look down the tracks. These tracks, 50 yards from where I sleep, are physically connected to tracks that run the length and breadth of this country. They can take me anywhere and who knows where they will take me?

I met Anna Fermin in Las Vegas at Music Strategies 2010. She's an amazing musician. I love her style and storytelling. She hosts a house-concert series in Chicago and I'm invited there as featured performer March of 2011. We could have booked a sooner time, but Chicago's not exactly a day-trip from where I am.

I got to thinking, if I go out there, I might as well do some other nearby cities while I'm there to justify the trip. But right now, with the promise I made to Jeff, I have to be back for work on Monday morning. So if i wait until next year, after I have fulfilled that commitment, I can stay longer than 4 days and put together a little tour that actually connects a string of venues in neighboring cities.

There's something there about the importance of commitment. Don't give your word lightly. It's not cheap, or at least it shouldn't be.



I thought I'd fly into Chicago and then rent a car and drive from city to city, but then I thought how expensive that might get, how grueling the road-tripping in between performances, how few the opportunities for rest. So then I thought, how about I fly into Chicago, and then take trains from there to wherever? And then I thought, why not just take the train all the way out from here?

Started checking train routes and now I'm planning to just tour along the route. Where the train stops, there I am playing. So I'm gonna start putting out a list of cities soon and if you know someone there and you can think of a venue that would fit my Man With Guitar stylings, I sure could use your help.

Leslie told me about this community of couch-surfers that you can join and work out places to crash along your journey.

I'm not heading out to find myself; I'm heading out because I have. My soul is bound to this music and I follow on a journey that may just come near you. I hope it does. I hope to shake your hand and touch your spirit. I hope we will be friends.
Last time I followed the tracks on foot, I arrived at a field of grass and flowers. Here's what I saw when I looked down...



Here's what I saw when I looked up...




I'll ride the rail, soon. I wonder where it will take me.

1 comment:

  1. that was a beautiful post. I have only read two of your post so far, but I really enjoyed them.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete