7.11.2010

65--Tomato Soup


I did a show in Silverton a couple weeks ago. My audience in Silverton is growing and it's always great spending time with them. I thought I'd like to spend a little time in community with my listeners so I invited 10 selected guests to meet me for dinner before the show.

I make a pretty good Tomato soup; maybe I'll share it with you someday. Years ago when I was shooting my very first music video, the director's mom made us this recipe and I loved it so much, I asked her to show me how. I'm pretty sure more people have tried the soup at my hands than have witnessed that video for Without Love.

The soup takes a bit of preparation, so although dinner was served at 5, I had to start cooking at 3 to be ready in time. Oak street church has a fabulous kitchen so that really helped. In a less-equipped or less functional space, it would have taken even longer.

I set out from Sheridan 90 minutes ahead of cooking time. Olive oil...check, Pepper...check, Live Basil...check. How wonderful that I can buy live basil and pick it right at the moment of use. Bread, La Brea Bakery Roasted Garlic Loaf...check. Pots and pans, stirring spoons and ladles...check. Sorrel--caribbean beverage that I pre-brewed and bottled earlier in the day...check.

I'm ready for whatever. I've got all my stuff, all the necessary spices, all the necesary tools.



These are NOT the tomatoes I served to my dinner guests.
These are the tomatoes that were waiting for me on my kitchen counter when I returned home from a wonderful dinner and concert with my friends in Silverton.

In my careful attention to not forget any of the supplies, I had brought with me absolutely everything I would need, except for the tomatoes.

Thankfully, I remembered on the way and stopped at Roth's in West Salem to grab ten pounds of vine-ripened...

Love you, Beautiful.
Don't forget the main thing, Strender.

Keep the main thing, the main thing


No comments:

Post a Comment