7.23.2010

53--Promises


I have failed miserably at keeping many of the promises I've made. Earlier in life I didn't really understand the weight of a promise and then by the time I began to understand it, I felt such shame about the litter of broken promises that I have strewn about, that it seemed irretrievable, so why bother trying?

I mean, I'm not a promise-keeper, so why bother? I might as well accept it and just let go. People have come to expect this from me, so I can just let it be said as it has been, "Lennox is flaky, we know, but we love him."

Or I can make changes, small and grueling and seemingly insignificant, but for each promise kept or repaired, a reassurance that sometimes I can be trusted.

Today I'm keeping a promise late. I promised Brian Lauritzen this cover months ago, and I'm 4 tracks deep into it, but this weekend I'm going to finish it, and get it online.

I promised I'd have a recording of In The City online by July 31st. Not going to happen. My producer, Isaac, is out of the country and the next available date to move forward on that is August 7th. I played electric guitar on this track. First time recording an electric. Isaac's sisters, Libby and Katie, are going to sing backup on this and they are truly amazing singers. I can't wait to hear what they do.

I had my water turned off this week because I didn't keep a promise. It's back now, but it cost something extra, a reconnection fee. Even when you repair a promise, or deliver it late, there's a surcharge. Broken trust can be mended, but it'll walk with a limp.

I find the more I learn about promises, the fewer I make. It could easily take the rest of my life just to keep the ones I've made and broken.

All of this is running on a separate track in my mind as I launched this week into Spurgeon's sermon on the prayer of Jabez. I would like my territory increased so I can stop causing pain. I don't want to break any more promises.

Brian & Brianne, here comes your cover. I hope you enjoy it. I've had fun making it for you.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Lennox, did I miss anything or my computer is acting up? I can't seem to see any cover music for Brian and Brianne. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, your computer's not acting up. It's recorded. I broke off to prepare for today's music and sermon, now I'm uploading it. Will be online by the time I go to bed tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got it! thanks and have a good rest...

    ReplyDelete